Awaken Your Potential – Uncover Your Purpose – Live Your Yoga
“The heart is our garden and along with each action we plant a seed of intention.”
Become an Akhanda Yoga® teacher and get your Permaculture Design Certificate in just 5 weeks. Imagine delving into an intensive 5-week training at a beautiful yoga and Permaculture retreat center in the lush green mountains of Guatemala.
Yoga and mindfulness practices can radically improve the lives of individuals and communities. Come journey with us to one of the most beautiful places on earth and learn how yoga translates into everyday life.
• Learn about the neurological, emotional, and physical effects of yoga
• Live in conscious community in a retreat and education center in the western highlands of Guatemala
• Learn to nurture relationships, healthy families and a peaceful and sustainable world.
• Deepen your practice and embody the wisdom of yoga and Mother Earth
• Address issues of diversity, social justice, inclusion, and safety
• Discover ways to cultivate compassion and capacity for meaningful relationship
• Gather concrete tools to integrate directly into your work
• Examine the benefits and challenges of introducing yoga and mindfulness practices to a variety of communities
• Explore how to meet human needs with ecological integrity through Permaculture design and sustainable living practices
• In-depth training 5.5 days a week (see Program of Study below)
• 2 weekend excursions to local villages and organizations
• Living in a community focused on harmonious relationships with the planet
• Organic meals cooked in an adobe rocket stove kitchen.
• Time to explore the local cultural and spiritual sites
Along the way, there are opportunities for your own compassionate self-care with daily yoga and meditation, all while enjoying the natural beauty of Lake Atitlán. You will return home with a renewed sense of purpose and passion, expanded networking and community skills, and the heartfelt inspiration you need to continue making a difference in the world.
In this course you will find the resources, tools, inspiration, and community support you need to change lives through yoga. This course not only provides you with an opportunity to nourish your mind, body and spirit but provides you with the tools to go out into the world ready to design and create with intention, confidence, and a new perspective.
This training is recommended for:
• Students interested in teaching yoga
• Educators, counselors, and human rights workers
• Students interested in sustainability
• Yogis interested in deepening their practice in all aspects of their life
What is Akhanda Yoga®?
Akhanda, similar to the word yoga in Sanskrit, means indivisible, unbroken tradition, entire, and whole. Our integrated Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) programs and yoga classes have an emphasis on the balanced sequencing of asana, pranayama, relaxation, mantra and meditation as well as discussions and readings on the yogic lifestyle and yoga philosophy. This integral approach to yoga classes is intended to give students access to more of the diverse teachings and techniques that the yoga system has to offer. When practiced and understood holistically, yoga becomes even more beneficial and helpful for humanity in bringing harmony and balance to our lives, families and to society.
In a holistic class we use themes to weave various aspect of yoga theory and practice together into a tapestry that offers students a powerful experience, and an experiential toolkit for their journey.
The founder of Akhanda Yoga®, Yogi Vishvketu, and World Conscious Yoga Family have had a huge influence on Awakened Spirit Yoga’s community and teaching team, from inspiration, to philosophy, to vision. We are thrilled to be an affiliate yoga school, and we hope you can join us for this incredible opportunity!
Yoga Alliance Registered 200hr Yoga Teacher Training
Program of Study:
• Form, method of teaching, benefits and cautions of principal asanas (postures), pranayamas (breathing techniques) and 2 kriyas (cleansing techniques)
• Learning to create various class-styles: beginner, intermediate and an introduction to prenatal yoga
• Teaching methodology, including modifications for age, focus and common injuries/conditions, how to create a grounded and inspired space for teaching/learning, the use of voice, prenatal modifications, etc.
• Anatomy and the physical/mental benefits of yoga
• Subtle yogic anatomy and the Chakras
• Introduction to Ayurveda, nutrition, and the yogic diet
• Ashtanga philosophy (the eight-fold path)
• Study and discussion of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, aphorisms giving insight into profound yogic practices and contemplations, as well as their life-transforming benefits
• Teaching practicum and feedback with the support of your trainers and peers
Techniques and Anatomy: Julia Forest Philosophy: Divya Elting
Assistant: Hayley Tennyson Permaculture: Jeremy Fellows
Permaculture Design Certification (PDC)– 72 Hours
Join us for a transformational experience acquiring new skills and applying practical Permaculture design and theory. Living in a community focused on harmonious relationships with our planet and natural systems. This course not only provides you with an opportunity to nourish your mind, body and spirit but provides you with the tools to go out into the world ready to design and create with intention, confidence, and a new perspective.
What will I take away from the course?
• Become a certified Permaculture designer and yoga teacher, a certification that is internationally recognized by the Permaculture community.
• The knowledge and practical skills required to immediately begin designing and creating Permaculture projects and sustainable landscapes.
• Links and sources to help you proceed further on your chosen path.
• The skills to form land assessments and designs, and skills to start you off in natural building.
• The ability to implement basic grey water and composting systems necessary for a sustainable dwelling. An understanding of aquaculture, vegetable production, integrated livestock management and food preservation to begin producing your own food and designing systems for yourself and others.
The course covers the Permaculture Research Institute of Australia’s PDC curriculum, following Bill Mollison’s Designers Manual. See more details in our PDC page.
• Design Projects: You will perform a land assessment, including client interview, Permaculture design and presentation for a project in a small team to a landowner from around the lake.
• Designing Intensive Annual Systems and Guilds: this module will include seed saving, germination and plant grouping for annual vegetable systems.
• Designing and Implementing a Forest Garden: this module will include propagation and planting techniques.
• Compost Making
• Plant Identification
• Night Walks and Forest Explorations
• Natural Building using Mayan Earthen Building Techniques
• IMAP – Instituto Mesoamericano de Permacultura
• Atitlán Organics farm in Tzununá valley, run by Shad Qudsi, specializing in animal husbandry
• Bee Keeping Cooperative in San Pablo la Laguna run by local Mayans
Shared accommodation is provided in beautiful traditionally built cabanas constructed from bamboo, adobe, clay and cypres wood from sustainable Guatemalan plantations. With palm roofs to match the natural setting that surround us and windows that overlook one of the most stunning views in Guatemala; Lake Atitlán and its volcanoes. A cheaper camping option is also available, either bringing your own gear or using ours for an additional US$100.
Please make arrangements for accommodation at the Yoga Forest by contacting Hayley at email@example.com. Arrival is on November 13th, so you can settle in to the forest environment, and be ready for classes starting early on the morning of November 14th! On December 20th we will enjoy a breakfast together before departure. Shuttle buses can be arranged in advance.
Tuition – YTT + PDC:
US$3250 early bird until August 1st 2015
US$3550 after August 1st 2015
Lodging and airfare not included. Payment plans are available.
Cost For Lodging:
$1100 for shared cabana (14 places), Nov 13-Dec 20, 2015
$725 for camping – BYO gear (4 places), Nov 13-Dec 20, 2015
$850 for camping circus tents – using our gear (4 places shared), Nov 13- Dec 20, 2015
For more information about this unique YTT+PDC course or to register please contact Julia at firstname.lastname@example.org